1 1/2 oz. Hangar 1 Straight Vodka 1/2 oz. lemon juice 1/2 oz. rich simple syrup (instructions below) 3/4 oz. rhubarb simple syrup (instructions below) 1 1/2 oz. Prosecco Sprinkle of powdered cinnamonPREPARATION:
For the rhubarb simple syrup:
2-3 stalks of rhubarb
1 cup of baking sugar
1 1/4 cups of water
1. Trim the ends from the rhubarb, and wash clean.2. Cut lengthwise in quarters, then chop.3. On the stovetop in a medium saucepan, add rhubarb to 1 1/4 cups of water, and bring to a boil. 4. Once at a boil, reduce to medium-low heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.5. Remove any foam that may collect on the surface of the mixture.6. Using a fine-meshed colander or sieve placed over a bowl, strain rhubarb pulp to collect the juice, which should be roughly 1 cup total. Discard pulp.7. Return the juice to the saucepan on the stove, and add 1 cup of sugar.
8. Bring to a boil, and stir to dissolve. Once the sugar is dissolved, remove pan from heat and allow to cool before use.Rhubarb simple syrup will keep, refrigerated, for 3-4 days.
For the rich simple syrup
1 cup water
2 cups baking sugar
1. In a medium saucepan, bring water and sugar to a boil, stirring to dissolve.
2. Once sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and allow to cool before using.
For assembling the cocktail:
1. Add vodka, lemon juice, rich simple syrup, to a shaker filled with ice.
2. Strain into a champagne flute, just to the fill-line, (leaving space for the Prosecco), then add rhubarb syrup to glass - it will sink to the bottom.
3. Top with dusting of cinnamon, then add 1 to 1 1/2 oz. of Prosecco, and the cinnamon will float magically to the surface. The separation of the syrup with the rest of the cocktail creates a lovely color. No garnish needed.