2 oz. Hangar 1 Straight Vodka 1/2 oz. cherry juice 1/4 oz. rich simple syrup (instructions below) 2 dashes Fee Brothers Cherry Bitters 2 dashes vanilla extract Espresso powder, for dustingPREPARATION:
For the rich simple syrup
1 cup water
2 cups baking sugar
1. In a medium saucepan, bring water and sugar to a boil, stirring to dissolve.
2. Once sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and allow to cool before using.
For the cherry juice:
1. If using fresh cherries, wash and pit 8-10 cherries, and add to 1 cup of water into a medium saucepan over medium heat on the stovetop.
2. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to a simmer for 5-6 minutes, or until cherries are tender.
3. Using a slotted spoon, remove cooked cherries from liquid and place into a bowl, then press cherries with a muddler or the back of a spoon to release juice.
4. Strain juice through a sieve, discarding any spent cherries and/or pulp.
*If using frozen cherries, simply defrost over a colander, and collect juice, then press fruit to make more following previous instructions.
For assembling the cocktail:
1. In a mixing glass filled with ice, add vodka, cherry juice, bitters, vanilla extract, and rich simple syrup.
2. Stir to blend and chill.
3. Using a Hawthorne strainer, strain into a chilled coupe or Nick-and-Nora glass.
4. Garnish the surface of the drink with a sprinkle of espresso powder, and add a cherry, if you like.